Sunday, August 7, 2011

So, How Do You Make Rice in a Rice Cooker?

I officially have no idea what time it is, what day it is, etc. And neither does my computer, that claims it's still August 4th. I guess that's what happens when you don't get up until 11:something AM because you were talking to your friends the night before. Oh well.

Today was our first breakfast in our apartment. It was lovely because we got to use the toaster oven and coffee machine. Even though we all forgot we didn't have any sugar.

Then later on, we tried the rice cooker out. We've actually had a bad experience with a rice cooker back in the States that quite frankly did not cook the rice one bit. So we were a bit nervous and naturally since I didn't read the instruction manual I messed it up the first time I hit "start" but eventually it all worked out and we had steaming yummy rice. Now all I need is some Ryuk or Zulk or FLOSS! I have no idea how to spell it but it's shredded BBQ'd pork and super yummy. At least to me. Maybe you have to grow up with it, like I did from stealing it from Jackie at lunch. If you're reading this Jackie, gosh darn it I miss you.

Went to Takashimaya today with my mom. She bought a bright red cloth cart thing to wheel groceries around. Other people have them too... but not BRIGHT RED! I was amused the whole time in Cold Storage, which is kind of part of Takashimaya. We thought we were going to cook dinner here at the apartment and make pasta. Here's the thing though. The stoves here run on gas, and the gas comes in a tank that you have to purchase. Well, we all kind of thought we had ordered a tank or somehow had a tank with gas. We were all wrong. So now we're waiting for- get this- Mexican delievery. We'll see how "Mexican" this is, I guess. I'm slightly skeptical.

Observation List:

- People really seem to like KFC around here
- Don't go shopping on Sundays. Everyone else does too
- Avoid sales people when you can. Some are very helpful, some just kind of follow you around and bug you
- You can buy every variety of meat ball you can imagine here. Fish balls, chicken balls, beef balls, shrimp balls... the list goes on and on
- Buying things in bulk seem popular. Like 5 kilo cans of Milo
- If you get lost in Takashimaya, asking for directions gets your turned around even more. All the designer kiosks selling Dior, Prada, Gucci... all look exactly the same when one is tired and carrying groceries

No comments:

Post a Comment