Sunday, February 19, 2012

Kyoto and Other Stuffy Stuff

So, I've completely given up on posting about Japan in any sort of coherent order. Please bear with me as I blab about my random experiences.

Temples/Shrines:

In Kyoto one day, we went to three shrines that were all incredible but completely blend together in order. There was one with amazing red tori gates. See?

So that was one of my favourite temples. Here's another one, covered in gold leaf.

It was unbelievably cold in Kyoto. Though it never snowed, it felt colder than Hiroshima or Tokyo. 

The Ryokan:

A ryokan is a traditional Japanese inn. Basically, you sleep on the tatami floor on a futon. There was a large 'communal' (when I went down there it was empty) bath in the basement. To be frank, it felt like the budget option to the nice Western hotel next door. But, whatever. It was sort of fun to stay in the ryokan because it was all traditional, but it sort of felt like a horror movie. 

Chanko-nabe:

Chanko-nabe is a stew often eaten by sumo wrestlers. We had some on one extraordinarily cold night. The place was pretty nice and gave us these really weird plushy presents. 


Looks like I'm posting this incomplete. I'll finish this up later. Turns out multiple distractions, dinner, and one's computer being stupid result in half-finished blog posts.



On a completely different topic:

Since I told Nick (the guy I've been talking about for a while) that he couldn't post explicit details about our date, I won't write that here either. I'll just say that he gave me a really cute stuffed sheep. I poked the sheep's nose a lot. It's very fuzzy. For some reason I thought the 'kawaii' was over after I left Japan, but I was wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment