Saturday, September 3, 2011

Another Chinese Dance Show and Other Stuff:

Good evening,

I just got back from a local troupe's dance performance. They finished their performance strong and in general the dances were very modern. The little children were amazingly synchronized! I don't know how the teacher managed to get literally 40 children on stage and all doing the same thing. Serious respect there. Otherwise there was a pretty snow dance and an interesting harvest-type dance. I was surprised there were no minority dances like Dai or Mongolian... Actually I was missing minority dances by the end of the show. Maybe because ACAS, Dance Revelasian, and the other Chinese dance I've seen has always included minority dances, I therefore have assumed that everyone does minority dances.
So I'm not certain if I'll try out for this troupe. The girls were very strong and the show was fine... but I don't know. That's all I'm going to say.

School is a grind already, I've already got a case of High-School-Exhaustion that has weakened my immune system enough for me to catch a cold. So I'm quite sniffle-y but that won't stop me from doing my boat load of homework tomorrow.

Oh, I learned something recently. It's a really bad idea to say "xie xie" (thank you) in Chinese to a shop clerk here when they help you with something. Because apparently that invites them to start talking to you in rapid-fire Chinese. And I don't understand enough Chinese to hold a conversation about makeup or whatever I was looking at in the store when I discovered this. Smiling and nodding sort of works. At least I understood when she was telling me how much something was. Then I figured out that "xiao jie" means "miss" and it all made a bit more sense. Either way though, from here on out until I learn Chinese properly... ENGLISH!

So tonight I'm really missing ACAS dance troupe. I miss the girls, the dances, the teachers and the costumes. Yes, even then itchy costumes that made everyone look chubby that magically looked okay onstage. The teachers who taught us beautiful dances, I miss as well. I guess you never realise how good something is until it's gone.
Of course I miss the ACAS girls a lot too!
It was weird not being onstage tonight...

Well, goodnight everyone :D

No comments:

Post a Comment