Sunday, September 18, 2011

My Father's Birthday and Don Quixote

This has been a crazy weekend!

Yesterday was my dad's birthday. I was going to post yesterday but it ended up such an adventure that I just couldn't quite get myself to do it. Tomorrow I'm going to get out my camera and make a whole post about his birthday dinner because it was really something. To sum it up in 5 words: Ocean, Chili-Crab, Birthday, Weird-Clam, Avatar.

So that's tomorrow's post.

But today, I think the more interesting event was Don Quixote, performed by the world-famous MariinskyBallet. Yes. I saw the Mariinsky Ballet!! In Singapore! I didn't think they toured very often anyways. I have to say, it was literally life changing. Most ballet students have been lucky enough to see their local companies perform and all, but I mean the Mariinsky Ballet was simply stunning. It was pretty much a whole new level of ballet for me, I had never seen anything so incredible (sorry Boston). We had box seats that were right by the stage (in a good way, not too close) so we could actually see the Mariinsky Orchestra as well. 

Alina Somova was Kitri! I admire her so much and it was amazing to see her dance. In Dance Magazine once she was featured and I read her article like 700 times, she's my favourite ballet dancer ever. Her lines, technique, attitude.... So perfect! I really can't say enough about how freaking awesome she is.

Overall the show was really spectacular, the set, costumes, music, and dancers of course were all really... well... AMAZING. So now I feel a crazy need to work on my pointe work and ballet in general even though I know I'll never be as good as any of those dancers, inspiration can't hurt.

To make the day even better, we bought tickets for the Paris Opera Ballet's Giselle right after Don Quixote was over. And seriously, when does the Paris Opera Ballet tour? I'm pretty surprised their coming to Singapore but I'm totally delighted.

Dinner was really good afterwards as well, but now it's really time for me to study. I'll tell everyone about my dad's birthday tomorrow (or the day after...) depending.

Good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment