Saturday, July 30, 2011

Baby, You're a Firework :)

Today turned out to be awesome!

My mom and I started out our day by going Bread Talk this morning, which is this bakery across the street, for breakfast. I really love their "floss bun" which is basically shredded pork on a bun with a sweet coating. It's really good and reminds me a of friend back in the States who loves floss.

Then went to our apartment and did some unpacking of Dad's computer. Well, I sat around and read a book, but I did some unpacking too. Our internet also was set up today. We have cable, which is not really as good as what we had in the States, but it's not bad either. I'm glad we also have TV so I can sit around and relax sometimes. Mom and I then showed Dad how to walk back from our apartment to the temporary apartment, which we do a lot but he never has time to do so. When we got back, there was a lovely high tea in the lobby of the temporary apartment building. The sweets were lovely, but it was a battle to get a cup for tea. Actually, it's a battle every morning at breakfast as well. A little boy got sick so I pretty much left as soon as I could. I do not like sickness. No thanks. 

I took a nap because I've been going to bed so late talking to people back in the States. Eventually it was time to go to Marina Bay to see the "dress rehearsal" fireworks for National Day. National Day is on August 9th and for 2 months leading up to National Day there is a full fireworks show. Before anyone asks me, no I have no idea why they do it for 2 months or where they get the funds to put on an awesome show come for. So while waiting for the taxi there's another kid getting sick not too far away. I mean, seriously? Gross.

We finally got to Marina Bay Sands (I don't know if it's formally "Marina Bay" or "Marina Bay Sands", the second one may be the hotel that's there) and there was a huge crowd of people there. Coca-Cola had one of those interactive piano mat things that children were playing on. They were also giving out free cans of Coke that naturally I hurried into line to get. My parents missed it, but I got a nice cold Coke. Yeah :)

The fireworks started at 8 pm. There was actually some sort of show going on in the stadium but we couldn't figure out what was going on exactly. I was so happy when the fireworks started- they were amazing! I don't think Singapore does anything small here. The show was really special. Not only were there fireworks coming from the barges, there were fireworks coming from the top of some sky-scrapers! I have a video but since video-editing and uploading takes me roughly 3 hours and it's already 20 to midnight, I'll upload it tomorrow. 

After the fireworks we went into the shopping mall that was Marina something-or-another. It's probably the hugest, most confusing mall in the world. Okay, maybe not but we couldn't find anywhere to eat for a while. Finally, we found this place called TWG Tea and had dinner there. It was amazing, there were literally hundreds of different sorts of tea! I had something called Darjeeling Princess Tea that tasted like tea with lychee, pear and maybe apricot in it. It was so good. After we wandered around for a while and saw the random ice-rink in the mall (no one here can really skate), we got ice-cream at the Cold Rock Ice Cream or something like that. Obviously based off of Cold Stone Creamery, it was pretty good. I feel like sometimes all I do here is eat!

Stay tuned for a video of random helicopters, fly-overs, and fireworks (No, the background music I'll replace the boom of the fireworks to will NOT be "Firework" by Katy Perry)!

No comments:

Post a Comment