Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The First Day

Hello From Singapore, Everybody!


We made it! The amount of relief we all felt as the plane touched down was immense, washing over us like  waves at the beach, we saw it coming but didn't know how powerful it would be until it hit us. I took some videos in the van thing that took us here. We're currently in a temporary apartment across from a relatively small shopping mall. My father's car was dropped off today, a very nice Nissan Qashqai. It's really nice with leather seats and a sun-roof. He kept turning the windshield wipers on while trying to figure out how how to use the brights or something, it was quite amusing. After we got settled in and I was done Skyping, we went to the mall and had a sort of early supper. Mom and I had chicken rice, which is a local food to this part of the world. The rice is cooked in broth and the boneless chicken that comes with it is boiled or roasted depending on what you ask for. I don't know why it's so good, but for some reason it really is tasty. Then we wandered around the mall for a while, picked up a cash card for dad's car (it's how tolls and parking are paid for, it's all automatic), and ended up heading back to the apartment since Mom is really tired. 

Here are some initial thoughts and observations:
- No one here has frizzy hair but me. Need to work on that
- I look like I am blushing all the time from the humidity and heat. Great. 
- If you can afford brand items here, you own them
- Eating local foods out here is really cheap (Mom and my chicken rice was like 12 SGD, Dad's big spicy noodle bowl thing was like 4 SGD)
- Compared to the USA, people dress formally here, and very conservatively 
-Shoes are flats or high-heels
- Though I'm sure returns are tricky, customer service seems good and people are helpful here
- There are a TON of female helpers from the Philippines, Indonesia, and Malaysia

I've been unable to upload videos onto the blog and it's really annoying me, I'm uploading videos to my youtube account dancingdreamer8 and embedding videos here. However, I'm too tired to sort it out tonight but I promise I will upload videos tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment