Tuesday, July 24, 2012

There Won't Be Change

I've been doing AP Euro work for at least the past hour. I have to say, once I start working I can do something for easily an hour without getting bored. For whatever reason I really do love history.  The Spanish Inquisition and the Reconstruction of France are so much more interesting to me than modern day problems. 

Regarding modern-day problems, is it just me or are most of the things in the news completely stupid? Generally, the issues start out as being completely valid. The economy is a problem. The education system is a problem (in America, note most of this is about the American media/society). But the media somehow makes these real issues insignificant by publishing boatloads of other rubbish. Humans love gossip. We'd rather worry ourselves in the make-believe worlds of celebrities than deal with problems staring us straight in the face.

 For example, teen pregnancy is a huge problem in the United States. The news covers it occasionally, when they are looking for something to do. Yet, other media like Teen Mom and I don't know what else makes the issue seem minor. Some girls even want to get pregnant so they can be on TV. That's an actual issue that has somehow gotten even worse in a way even though awareness is up.

Even global economic problems and general misery somehow get shoved aside by incredibly small political "scandals" on a regular basis.

Some people may say that we live in a more informed era, and that's true. There are ways to find actual information and form one's opinions. Yet, most people don't do that. They take things based on face value and run with it. Basically, there are way too many people who don't know what they are talking about and start spurting out random things without any factual basis. People wonder why there is so much hate on the internet. Well, it's because too few people are checking their facts and have nothing to back their arguments with, so they go for personal insults.

Okay, not really on the last bit. There are other reasons for hatred, many that have been around forever. If there was historically racism and  prejudice against religion, why do we think we can change this? Right, because like practically all generations before us, we think we can change things.

There are things ingrained in human nature that will never change. People always want to go back to what they are comfortable with. People hate because they are ignorant and scared. People hate because their parents told them to hate. People don't want to face the truth and will live in la-la-land for as long as they can. These things won't change.


Even though I've said what I think, I know I'm not right. I haven't lived enough and haven't experienced enough to form opinions that are entirely my own.

... next post will be a "what I did today" post.

Sorry for the rant.


No comments:

Post a Comment