Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Exhausting Tuesday

I am so tired. Really need to stop going to bed at 1-2am!

Chinese class today was a mixture of frustrating and enjoyable. It was frustrating because I bought a story book to try and read, and it was really hard. I only understood about 1/3 by myself, which was depressing. At least my reading fluency was decent. The sentences in the book are also really long, which is tiring to read. It was enjoyable because I kind of got off-topic with my teacher and started talking about Chinese culture/food/stories. So, she told me the story of the rabbit that lives in the moon in a mix of Chinese and English (mostly Chinese). There was a whole load of stuff about a woman and her screwing up (reminded me of Pandora and the box), and how she somehow got exiled to the moon by her husband. So then, she befriended a rabbit who pounded medicine for immortality or something. I don't know, I didn't understand all of it >.<

Anyways, the August Moon Festival is coming up. To some people, it means family time and admiring the moon. To me, though.... it means MOON CAKES!

I love moon cakes so much. We thought I was allergic to the bean in them (then realised it's mostly lotus seed paste in them, anyways) so I hadn't eaten them until moving to Singapore last year for a while. Now this year I am fully intending enjoy them. Even though they are super unhealthy...

Much later on in the day, I went to ballet class again. I must say, I think I'm regaining strength. I'm still dealing with being a bit floppy, which is positively devastating after working really hard years ago to gain strength and stuff. At least tonight I was pretty much the best dancer in the room, which is always a self-esteem boost.

So, I've been living in Singapore for over a year. And I have to say, it really does feel like home. It amused me when my mom got turned around today in our local train station- I know it like the back of my hand!

For the heck of it, 8 things I like about Singapore (there are many more):

1. The train station, and how efficient it is.
2. My school.
3. The food. It's so yummy!
4. The tropical plants. NOT the heat.
5. The diverse amount of people I've been able to meet.
6. My apartment building/apartment.
7. Being able to travel to interesting places.
8. Shopping!

Quote of the Day:

"If you can make a girl laugh, you can make her do anything"
Marilyn Monroe

No comments:

Post a Comment