Monday, September 30, 2013

Silence

Today, I am scared. Someone I once called a friend has a drinking problem. I fear she will drink herself to death. Even though she and I are no longer close, I do not want to lose her.

We are too young to lose ourselves to a bottle of whiskey or vodka or whatever other inebriating substance we can get our hands on. Just because here in Singapore the drinking age is 18 (and let's face it, loads of younger people drink), doesn't mean we should. There is more to life than a few hours having fun feeling drunk. There's love, pain, dreams, disasters, trials, errors, achievement, failure... more than I could ever state on a blog.

I used to hope that maybe this girl was crumbling to peer pressure, and after the main source dried up, she'd be alright again.

I was mistaken. I don't know if it's technically an addiction in her case, but I believe it is. I fear what she'll do when she feels there are no limits. I can only hope that someone will take care of her, and am fortunate that people have been. Yet, people's patience can get used up. There may not always be people around for her. When she is alone- that is when I fear for her the most.

If you make yourself vulnerable under the influence, you are increasing your chances of something bad happening to you. Alcohol poisoning. Choking on your own vomit. Getting hit by a car because you thought it was a good idea to run into traffic. The list goes on: disgusting, horrific ways to die a young death.

Friend, forgive me.

But I had to tell someone. I don't want to stand up at your funeral and have to tell the truth.

That I knew...

...and said nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment