Monday, August 12, 2013

Day One Done

I meant to post during lunch today, but I figured my time would be better spent doing some homework in the library. Oops. Well, today was the first day of my senior year, and it was.... underwhelming.

There have been a lot of changes at SAS for this new school year. Three main ones stick out to me in particular.

1. There are LCD screens around the school with a constant international news feed. It's pretty fancy.
2. The dress code changed so on free dress day we either have to wear uniform bottoms, or long pants. My question is: what about skirts and dresses? I was planning on wearing a pink polka dot dress next Wednesday, so we'll see how that goes.
3. Our grading system got more "learning based" and less "score based". That means that we get graded on everything from 0-9 (though 0 means you didn't turn it in) and that somehow works out to our GPAs. Many seniors aren't too thrilled as it eliminates A- grades. I personally think it's a little weird because it's not out of 10. Shifting my school's culture from every little percentage point mattering to this will be interesting.

In terms of the day itself... it was interesting. There isn't a "rush day" anymore where you run to all your classes, which was a bit strange. I had two AP courses and Chinese II today.

I was really lonely today. I've been with my boyfriend for almost a year and a half, and not having him with me was extremely weird. In addition, my own mediocre decision to do homework during lunch left me largely by myself today. I suppose I've learned something for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment