Friday, June 29, 2012

Almost the End and Totem

Overall, I think it's reasonable to say I've had a decent time in America. Though it's strange to be visiting the place that I grew up and even stranger to want to go back home (Singapore), it was a good experience. I can't say I'd like to spend such a long time in the Boston/Bedford area again next year, because it was rather dull at times. I can't say I am dying to return to New York, because it's dirty. And I don't want to do another college tour with 30 other kids. Yet, America is fun. There's lots of shopping to do and people to see again. That, and tonight there was Totem.





Totem is a Cirque De Soleil show that's currently touring, and happened to be in Boston. Now, I'm a huge fan of Cirque, which I have said before. Totem was easily the best Cirque show I've ever seen. The costumes, lighting and stage design aspect of it was completely amazing and very creative. Then, the performers were spectacular. I don't like clowning very much, but Totem's clowns were very funny. Also, they had skills of their own such as bouncing a ping-pong ball off various points of the body.

The best acts were the stationary trapeze, the Russian bar, and the roller-skating. The roller-skating was terrifying- they were on this tiny little drum thing and the man was really throwing his partner around while spinning. Her head almost hit the floor multiple times. I think the danger in it makes it more fun, no?  Anyways, the choreography for the stationary trapeze was really pretty and the Russian bar is terrifying. Other notable acts were the "juggling" within a glass test-tube, stationary rings, high bar, and girls balancing cups on their heads while riding unicycles.

So, I think I'm going to skip college, find myself a skill, and join Cirque. Alternatively, go to college, get a theatre degree along with a history degree, then sign up to work for Cirque. On the side, develop a skill that I would randomly display at some point at a level at which they would hire me. Yup.

No comments:

Post a Comment