Sunday, January 1, 2012

HAPPY NEW YEAR

My family and I welcomed the new year standing on the side walk watching fireworks by Marina Bay Sands. Which seems incredibly interesting, I know. 

Actually, there's a story as to why we weren't on, I don't know, a Duck Tour Boat.

So, after waiting around yesterday at Suntec City after eating dinner at a bar that played music-that-is-awkward-to-listen-to-when-parents-are-around, my family got ready to board a Duck Tour Boat to see the fireworks. This involved avoiding random puddles of sick and wandering Suntec City aimlessly. There were a total of five Duck Tour boats to enter Marina Bay. Anyways, we got on the boat thing alright and made our way down to the water. I'm sure we looked really cool with the flashing lights and everything, going down the street. Just as we were about to enter the water, the boat behind us hits us (not very hard) from behind. Everyone on our boat suffered whiplash to some degree, and I think the other boat felt it too. So, my dad and a few others really insisted on going back to shore. 

1. We got a full refund
2. No one was seriously hurt
3. I'm not doing Duck Tours at night again. I won't rule out the company entirely, but night doesn't seem to be a great idea.

Anyways, we were stuck with headaches and no real place to see the fireworks. Thankfully, there was this sidewalk area that lots of other people were standing at that had a good view. 

Not exactly how I expected to ring in the New Year, but it wasn't terrible.

When I got home, I sat on my butt and watched fireworks go off in other cities. This whole "sat on my butt and..." pattern kept up in the afternoon and evening, because I've been watching the news a lot lately. The recaps of 2011 that have been playing on the news are quite good, though rather depressing. 

This afternoon I went to the National Palace Museum because they had a Musée d'Orsay Paris exhibit. There were over a hundred famous pieces of artwork on display including some by Monet, Degas and van Gogh. I really enjoyed it.

So, the New Year so far is pretty darn good overall (the Duck Boat thing happened in 2011). 
Except there was a 7.0 earthquake in Tokyo and I'm going there in a bit over a month. Lovely. 

Well, Happy New Year! Don't forget, we all die at the end of this year so I hope everyone partied :)

No comments:

Post a Comment