Sunday, July 21, 2013

Running Around the Consortium

Today was a heck of a day! We're in Western MA now, in the general Amherst area.

 This morning we took a tour of Hampshire College, the newest college in the Five College Consortium and the one that made the Consortium a thing. It was an experience. While I'm sure the college is great for some people, it didn't seem like the right fit for me. One of the student tour guides was creating a third year programme about 'Hip Hop and Latin Studies' with his final project being 'A sort of musical mash-up with different plays, maybe a little of "Grease" all with hip hop music and dance discussing Latin identity.' Hey man, whatever floats your boat. The admissions lady was an alumni who tested to see if the traditional theatre positions (director, stage manager, etc) could be eliminated in favour of equalised positions. Apparently it's possible, though that's kind of news to me as a theatre tech.

Hampshire College: Alternative, curious, not for me


Then we drove through Amherst College. It's the best liberal arts college in the country, and it looked that way.

Amherst College: A dream!

After that, we decided to head over to UMASS Amherst. It was really confusing. We thought we could get a tour even though it was Saturday because we called and it said so, but alas, it was not so.

UMASS Amherst: A production

We ate lunch afterwards at a place called Black Sheep Deli, and it was amazing. I had a parma ham sandwich that was good enough to write to Singapore about. Oh, and the iced mocha was to die for. RECOMMENDED

Black Sheep Deli: YUMMY!

Since we figured we might as well continue exploring the Consortium, we drove to Mt. Holyoke College. It's a woman's college, and pretty darn cool. The buildings were stately and brick, with pretty windows. It has everything I'm interested in (Sociology, International Relations, Chinese) and is very reputable.

Mt. Holyoke College: Pretty and interesting.

Now of course, we had to go to the last college, Smith. I think we saved the most beautiful for last. The grounds were simply amazing! I think we're going to try and take a tour of it even though it doesn't have International Relations.

Smith: Gardens~

Verdict: The area is great. I'm most interested in the two women's colleges, which is interesting because I was pretty certain I wanted a co-ed school. Go figure.


Cool thing: Today I got a really nice comment on this blog from an anonymous poster. I don't know if you're going to read this or not, but I greatly appreciate what you wrote! Sometimes I question if I'm just writing this blog for myself, but if I can help someone else with my experiences, I'm very glad. Thanks for reading :)

Other things on my mind: Have to raise my SAT score. Have to write that pesky college essay, which is turning into a not-so-pesky essay because I have tons of ideas floating around in my head. Miss Singapore, and someone special back there. Hope he's having fun playing games, working out, and being special :) Also wondering which country I'm going to end up in. Craving chicken rice. A little nervous to start my Senior year, but also excited and ready to take advantage of it. Sad people in Bedford changed and didn't change at the same time. Glad I saw my friend Kiara the other day. Hopeful that things are going to work out at the end of the day, and I'll find the college right for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment