Friday, July 5, 2013

1 AM Thoughts

Okay, it's kinda late. Well, for normal people, it's very late. But that's alright, because I'm seventeen, it's my summer holiday, and I don't have anything particularly important to do tomorrow anyways. I'm meeting up with my mother's friend's niece (who I went to Arab street with today) for lunch and swimming around in my pool (that I've used exactly once), but I don't exactly have to be awake for that. Just kidding- I did like Leah a lot. It's just that at this point my body has gotten used to going to sleep between 1-2 am and waking up whenever Mom decides it's time to open the curtains.

So, I've noticed that there's crazy stuff going on in the news these days. What the heck, Egypt? Syria? USA? Strange stuff, really. And I've been reading a lot of the comments people post on various articles regarding Egypt, and they make me mad. Come on, Americans (generalising, but they tend to be the ones to post the most ignorant, rude comments). Can't we clean up our act on the internet and stop spewing hatred everywhere?

Guess what. We're all human. Muslims, Christians, Buddhists, Jews, Hindus, (dare I say) Atheists, Agnostics... you name them, they're human.   We're all subject to the same desires, hopes, fears, aspirations, joys and sorrows. Arguing that one religion is inferior to another is futile, since nobody can say for sure if they are right.
So at the end of the day, which is concluding at nearly 2am, I've come to a conclusion: 

If you are a nice person to me, I'll like you. I don't care what you look like, what religious affiliation you have, etc.

If you talk about your beliefs, I will listen and be interested. 

If you try to force your beliefs down my throat, I'm going to get mad because I wouldn't do that to you, so doing that to me is pretty darn inconsiderate. 

If you're just a mean/rude/inconsiderate/nasty person, I'm not going to like you. Fairly self explanatory. 

So: from a teen blogger on the internet- everyone, just get along already. Stop picking fights and using your own superiority complex as "proof" that you're better than someone else.  Everyone has the potential to be both a good person or a bad person, and how "good" and "bad" are determined is a personal issue often based in religious or ideological beliefs. While a rotten apple can spoil the barrel, some people's bad behaviour shouldn't taint the reputation of others.


No comments:

Post a Comment