Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Danced the Day Away

Wow, I can't believe that today was my last full day in Bali. As usual, I got a late start. My dad went walking around towards some rice paddies this morning so he didn't join my mom and I for breakfast. Mom and I did some shopping around Ubud before ending up at Starbucks. No matter where you go in th world, you can count on Starbucks to have your cup of coffee. Anyways, we went to the Ubud Museum after that, where I took a Balianese dance class. The dance style here is angular- that's the best way to describe it. Elbows up, knees bent, everything at a 90 degree angle. The teacher was really good, though towards the end he started making the dance more difficult on me. By the end, a reasonable number of people ended up watching which was rather embarassing. It is fun to have an audience though.

We ended up going to the same restaurant we had dinner at a week ago for lunch. It was pretty good but I got this weird tamarind-coconut juice that I could have skipped. Oh well. The shops around Ubud are really interesting because they have a lot of small arts and crafts that are easy to take back.

When we got back to the hotel, my mom and I went to the spa. She got a pedicure for the first time in her life and I got a massage. We figured that our hotel has the "Best Hotel Spa 2011" or something like that, so it would be worth going to. We both enjoyed our spa treatments. The weird thing about massages is that afterwards I felt like I was going to fall over. I don't know why that happpens, but whatever.

This evening we've been playing the infuriating game of "How Do We Shove All the Stuff We Bought Into Our Suitcases?!?!?!" . Overall we've done pretty well. Hopefully not too much repair work will be necessary back home.

I loved Bali. There's something strangely enchanting about this island, I think it's that the authentic culture still permeates that air. The people are also really proud of their culture and smile a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment