Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Reality

Since I was a little girl, I've always been a dreamer. Part of this comes from living in a small town in which we had to know the colour of our prom dresses, what shape our wedding dresses would be, a rough outline of who we'd marry, and where we'd like to live some day. Naturally, I was going to wear a giant pink prom dress, have an even bigger wedding dress, marry someone who would treat me like a princess, and live somewhere with a garden.

Living in Singapore has changed my dreams significantly. First of all, I've been to prom twice. Neither times involved a massive poofy pink dress. Then, I don't intend to get married for a while (though I really don't want to be in my thirties like the modern trends....), and I still don't know what I want to wear for my wedding. Now, in terms of who I want to marry- still don't know. Though, I do know that he's going to have to like cute things around the house. In terms of where I want to live- not the USA, at least right now. There's so many problems with the conservative US government that I fear my rights as a woman are dwindling quickly. No thanks. 


Now, the problem with dreams is that they are hard to wake up from. Waking up is like falling out of the clouds and smashing your face on concrete. It hurts a lot, things are messy, and perspective changes. I don't know what's going to happen to my dreams, but they aren't necessarily going to come true. What I have learned recently, however, is that reality does not lie.

What you see is what you get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment