Saturday, June 7, 2014

Nightlife in Singapore

The legal drinking age in Singapore is 18, and many, many people take advantage of it. While some people say it's the best part about living in Singapore, I will politely disagree. However, it's undeniably a cool part about living here. I haven't done a lot of partying, mostly because I waited until I was legal to do so. So, here's some of the places I've been.

Zouk:  My first night out! Zouk is a beautiful club, and even though the cover charge is $45, it's worth it for a special occasion. I went to Zouk to see Disclosure, which was pretty neat. The atmosphere is unbelievable, and it's architecturally impressive. Even though the night I went was packed, I still had a good time.

Avalon: Right on Marina Bay, Avalon has an amazing location. The outside is glass, which earns it serious cool points. I went there with Nick a few weekends ago and we had a pretty good time.

Bianca: After-grad was held at Bianca, which is in the heart of Clarke Quay. I must admit, it's tiny. However, it's not a bad club, like many people were saying.

Chupitos: Shots bar! This place is so fun. It has a slightly wild atmosphere while being laid back. Go figure. They have some crazy shots.... worth a try for sure!

Places I want to go: Attica, St. James Power Station


Being able to club in Singapore is great, but one certainly has to keep in mind that there is a degree of risk to it. I haven't gone out that much, but I've seen people get pretty sick. At one party, people were totally floppy drunk... not even sloppy, just falling over. While I do think the drinking age in general should be 18 (if you can die for your country and vote for its leaders, why not be able to have a pint?), I think the attitude towards alcohol that parents and society fosters is extremely important. Americans have a crazy binge culture... in college, kids drink for the sake of drinking. I'm not saying that I don't do that at times, but I can also appreciate a glass of wine at dinner. If people treat alcohol like some forbidden substance, others will want it even more.

Make of that what you will.

No comments:

Post a Comment