Saturday, October 26, 2013

Things I Like About Singapore

Yesterday, I went out and about for the first time in a while. It got me thinking about how cool Singapore actually is all things considered. So, here's a little list. It's not necessarily in order!


  1. I can buy bubble tea at almost any shopping centre. That's pretty neat. I love that stuff, even though it's super unhealthy!
  2. The shopping here is pretty darn good. I don't know anywhere else where the are huge shopping malls built next to each other down a whole big long road. 
  3. I can buy $3 chicken rice that tastes absolutely amazing.
  4. Pepper Lunch, the biggest accident waiting to happen with hot plates that you take from the stall to your seat. It's delicious, but probably doesn't exist in America for fear of lawsuits. If you go to a country where you can get it, try it!
  5. In general the food here is amazing. The Chinese food is rocking, Malay stuff everywhere, local candies are tasty, and the lime juice is profoundly Asian. In a good way, of course. 
  6. It rains a lot. Yeah, sometimes it's a pain, and the mosquitos suck, but big thunderstorms are awesome. Until you get stuck in one. 
  7. The MRT. I don't know if it's the best in the world, but it's pretty darn good. It's better than Boston's or New Yorks BY FAR. I've taken the London Tube and it's not bad either, but Singapore's quiet MRT is really nice. 
  8. The radio. For the most part they aren't totally up to date with music over here, so we get a lot of early 2000/1990s pop. And the commercials are shorter and don't make you want to pull your hair out. 
  9. The freedom here. Singapore is pretty safe, and as a teenager I'm allowed to go out and about with friends. If you get lost, call a taxi! 
  10. Being able to travel around South East Asia. If I lived in America, a trip to Thailand over spring break would be a crazy idea. Super expensive, long flight, and generally complicated. Yet, next week my mom and I are spending three nights in Bangkok. Not too bad at all!
So, there are definitely good aspects of living here. I feel like I've been posting mostly negative stuff lately because applying for college and dealing with the Crucible was hectic, but things are better now. My SAT score should hopefully get me into college, which was the biggest relief ever. 


Things are looking up at last! Just have to finish my application, send it in, then WAIT!



Also, I just started a new blog. I think I know where I'm going to be taking it, but not completely certain. If it gets overly personal/hard to deal with then it may not live long, but whatever.

www.asiaticadoptee.blogspot.sg

I think the URL indicates what it is about fairly well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment