Saturday, September 8, 2012

200th Post

There have been a lot of things going on lately, and posting has unfortunately not been one of them. Considering school, my annoying finance blog, the other blog I write, and homework, I've been more than preoccupied. Which is sad, considering this initially started off as being a blog on what it's like to live here in Singapore. Now it's a collection of scattered thoughts. 

Something interesting that I'm not certain I like about Singapore anymore (and arcades in general as they convert) is how digital it is. There's something distinctly impersonal about a computer telling me my achievements. For example, I am babysitting tonight. I took the girls to an arcade earlier in the evening, and the whole things was digital. You had to swipe your card to play games (and since when are they like $1 a game?!) and then you don't get any tickets. Instead, you have to go and ask the cashier person how many points you have. There's no joy of finding a lost token on the ground, or watching the ticket-muncher thing count your tickets. It's impersonal and kind of really sad. 

Then again, I remember them converting the arcade in Massachusetts that I used to go to as well. It's sad that the world is becoming so screen based. I fear the day that people lose the desire to be around only computers. That day is coming up too quickly in my opinion. 

I think it's cool that there are kids in like Sweden or somewhere that are learning computer programming from age 6. I think it's cool that the kids I babysit for have school-issued computers and iPads. I think it's really cool that there are online schools, where kids can work at their own pace and stuff. Yet I think it's sad when kids are at home playing educational games instead of running around outside building fantasy worlds. Isn't it that children learn best from playing? Isn't creativity the mother of human progress? 

So, there's my scattered 200th post. 

I shall be honest now and say I don't know how long I'm going to keep running this blog. I know posts will be more infrequent, mostly because I can't find the time to write so much every day. 

Either way... POST 200 WOOHOO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment