Monday, April 18, 2011

The Not-So-Mini-Journey to Singapore


Hello,
I am so glad to be off the plane and in the hotel. Here's what I typed up on the flight:
When we got to the airport, everything seemed fine as we went through security.  Walking at a reasonable pace to our gate, we get there to discover that our flight was delayed 5 hours. I repeat, 5 hours.  Thank you torrential downpours and wind. The flight to Singapore was departing at 11, and we simply depart from Boston to Newark at 10! Got wait-listed on another flight. That flight was full. So we got wait-listed on a second flight. No luck. 99% of the second flight we were wait-listed on was booked out with some ski/snowboarding girl’s team from London. So Continental sent us to Delta for a flight to LaGuardia. It was literally the most turbulent, terrifying flight of my life that resulted in multiple sick people, roughly 45 minutes of circling while trying to land, and a full-passenger applaud once we were on the ground. Since our Singapore Air flight was flying out of Newark, we ended up getting a limo-SUV to drive my family and this other stranded traveler going to the same destination. His name was Lucien and he’s actually a professor at Singapore General Hospital, but we didn’t find that out until later.  Anyhow, we made it on the 18 hour flight, which I’m actually typing this on.  Over the 18 hours, I…
1.     1.Watched 3 episodes of Chuck
2.     2.Watched 3 episodes of Criminal Minds
3.     3.Read D &D books for like an hour or so
4.     4.Slept. A lot.
5.     5.Almost died walking to the bathroom in high turbulence, only to have the stupid seat-belt sign go off as soon as I shut the bathroom door.
6.     6.Could not reach the overhead compartment to save my life. Who the heck designed this plane?
So I’m landing now, and the ride is quite bumpy. I'll post this later. 

I sort of had a lot a free time on the flight. Now it's like 7:12 am, and we have to go eat and then go shopping. Why must we shop?

Well, our checked baggage kind of never left Boston. We were having it sent on a different flight to Newark, the end up on the same flight to Singapore as us, but that flight never left the ground and we are now at least 24 hours without luggage. That would be all of my parent's clothes and nearly all liquid items. Yippee.

I'm going to go recover from all this crazy travel. Bye

No comments:

Post a Comment