Monday, April 28, 2014

Coming to a Close

It is crazy to think that I started this blog over three years ago. I was a very different person then than the one I am now-- I hope. This blog is an amazing time capsule for me of my thoughts, opinions, and observations about living here in Singapore.

My senior year is coming to a close, and my time in Singapore will be ending shortly afterwards. What will happen to this blog? I suppose I will leave it up, since there are some valuable points on here. Where will I write next? backtoboston2018.blogspot.com, of course. But what will I write about? Will I have more direction in my blog? Will I have ads? Will it be more food based? Student life based? It's hard to say now, but I think the answers will eventually become clear.

I wrote a letter to a great mentor of mine today, and I found it one of the easiest and most difficult letters I have ever sat down and written. It was easy because I knew exactly what I wanted to say: you taught me, and changed me, and I want to be like you. But to write such things would be silly. One cannot just blurt out everything all at once. To craft a letter elegant enough that I would be proud to have her read it, and honest enough for her to understand her impact on me... that was a difficult balance.

I mention this today because I feel I owe Singapore something for teaching me so much. Living here has taught me how to live in a city, even if it's a very safe one. It has taught me about other cultures, and how to truly respect them. It has taught me more about what it means to be Chinese, and I in turn have tried to figure out exactly how Chinese I want to be. Singapore will always been the place I spent my high school years, trying to find out exactly who I want to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment